Join us this Wednesday, June 17th, for a dharma talk “Live in Peace” with Bonnie Sarmiento. The talk will discuss the roots of our racial identities and conflicts, and provide resources to help us overcome our collective miseducation, trauma and patterns of violence. We will dig deeper into what it means to affirm life and not kill, and aspire to a vision of a more just and equitable society.
Resources for further study:
- List of Black Owned Independent Bookstores
- Recommended Reading on Race Relations
- “Between the World and Me” – Ta-Nehisi Coates
A very personal and beautifully written story of growing up black in America.
- “White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism” – Robin DiAngelo
The construction of the white identity, unconscious bias, and the author’s experience as an anti-bias training facilitator.
- “How to be an Antiracist” – Ibram X. Kendi
A book on systemic racism, with personal anecdotes. Explains why it’s not enough to be ‘not racist’, but we need to actively be anti-racist.
- “The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness” – Michelle Alexander
A thorough investigation of past and current policies which results in the mass incarceration of black people in the US.
- Audio Book Format:
- Free Films
- Amazon Prime Video is offering “Just Mercy” viewing FREE through the month of June:
Synopsis: “A powerful true story that follows young lawyer Bryan Stevenson and his battle for justice as he defends a man sentenced to death despite evidence proving his innocence.”
Please Join via Zoom:
During the discussion please mute yourself if you are in a noisy area, and remember to unmute yourself if you are speaking. The discussion will be recorded.
Kannon Do Wednesday Night Online Meditation Schedule (via Zoom)
Join via Zoom:
Or dial by phone (audio only):
6:45pm – Online Meditation and Posture Instruction (optional, recommended for first timers)
7:10pm – Online Zazen Meditation (Please go on mute if in a noisy area)
7:50pm – Loving Kindness Meditation
7:55pm – Dharma Talk
9:00pm – 9:30pm Online social hangout, bring your own tea (optional)